10 Apr 5 Tips For Alternative Style
Today I’m sharing 5 tips for alternative style. If I had to pick 3 words to describe alternative style, it would be Bold, Different & Cool.
Alternative style is my thing and if you don’t know what that is; alternative style is fashion that allows you freedom to wear whatever you wanna wear. There are no boxes or rules.
It began from groups of people that dressed differently from the societal norm e.g goth, punk, boho, etc. Now it’s evolved and it’s not limited to those sub cultures. In modern fashion, alternative fashion is for everyone that wants to be and is bold & different.
Whether you’re dressing up for school, work, church, events, the alternative fashionista stands out & looks different from the norm.
Now here’s 5 tips to dressing alternative:
1. Free your mind: you know all the rules and regulations you have about fashion & style? throw it in the bin. The rules that tell you that you can’t wear this and that or that you can’t mix this print or color and that. In this alternative style universe, it is not welcome.
2. Experiment: when you style your clothes try something different. Switch up the shoes; if you’d normally wear heels, try sneakers. If you’d normally wear pencil pants with that oversized top, try palazzos or a flair skirt instead, Try wearing your dress with a top, layering your outfits, incorporate quirky accessories into your outfits etc.
Alternative fashion is all about freedom so please don’t hesitate to feel free. Use your imagination & be creative.
3. Spot the different: keep an eye out for things different and cool. You have to be able to see the potential even in the “ugly” stuff. Quirky shoes, ugly shoes, weird looking tops or dresses, quirky accessories. The alternative fashionista turns everything into cool. Even your regular jeans and tee can be styled alternatively.
4. Don’t Force It: Don’t try too hard to be different. If you’re different style wise then that’s just it.
Not everyone even finds alternative appealing to them and indeed it’s not for everyone and that’s okay.
So if it’s not something you’re into, then don’t force it.
5. Be bold, be daring: this is key for alternative style. You have to be bold to try the different and bold to leave your house looking different. Let me just tell you, people will stare. Sometimes, I want to tone it down a bit when I’m leaving home because of the stares but I’ve come to embrace that this is me and I’ll take them stares as a compliment, thank you!
P.s no matter what your fundamental style is, you can do it alternatively.
Whether your style is retro, boho chic, classy, etc, you have the freedom to stand out.
With these few tips of mine, I hope I’ve guided you in doing this thing called alternative style. Thank you. 😁
Lace jumper: @shopmaju
Photography: the best girl, Riya of @riyalityphotography!
Love & Light!